Friday, December 26, 2008

The End of Christmas

Today I am thankful for the end of Christmas.

More than ever this year, I have been overwhelmed with the way that the Christmas season transforms people. Sure, for some people it makes them more aware of the needs of others and more desiring to show their love to those people, but for others it becomes such a materialistic time. I was out shopping today with my mom, and I was just amazed at the people pouring into the stores trying to get more and more and more stuff. I would imagine that these same people received gift after gift just the day before, but they still wanted, and thought they needed more. The stores take advantage of this materialism with bigger and better sales and promotions, and it's just so discouraging to me. Here the day before we were supposedly celebrating Christ's humility and sacrifice in leaving Heaven to become human, and yet now we're trying to build ourselves up with more possessions, better clothes, etc. I know we have this same attitude throughout the year, but it seems amplified at Christmas for some reason, and so today I am grateful that this season of the year is coming to an end.

No comments:

Post a Comment